Shortcut Rule 1 : The co-relative conjunctions are used in pairs.
- Not only – but also
- Either – or
- Neither – nor
- Both – and
- Though – yet
- Whether – or
Please see that the pair is properly used.
- They will either do the work else return the money. ☓
- They will either do the work or return the money.✔
- Both kumar as well as Ravi must finish it. ☓
- Both kumar and Ravi must finish it.✔
- Not only does he read but also writes.✔
- Though he is rich but he is economical. ☓
- Though he is rich yet he is economical.✔
Shortcut Rule 2 : After the adverbs “Hardly / Scarcely”, the conjunction ‘when or before’
should be used.
- Hardly had he left the place than the Bomb exploded. ☓
- Hardly had he left the place when the Bomb exploded.✔
Shortcut Rule 3 : After ‘Rather / Other, the subordinating conjunction ‘Than should be used.
- He has no other object but to get a handsome job. ☓
- He has no other object than to get a handsome job.✔
- I would rather buy a scooter but not a cycle. ☓
- I would rather buy a scooter than a cycle.✔
Shortcut Rule 4 : After the subordinating conjunction ‘lest’ the auxiliary ‘should’ is used.
Lest – for fear that / If it is not so.
- Work hard lest you fail. ☓
- Work hard lest you should fail.✔
Shortcut Rule 5 : The connecting word ‘that’ is used with the adjective phrase ‘the same/the only/superlative adjectives/all
- This is the same book which I wanted. ☓
- This is the same book that I wanted.✔
Shortcut Rule 6 : The conjunction ‘or’ is used with not / never.
- I have never spoken to him nor written to him. ☓
- I have never spoken to him or written to him.✔
Shortcut Rule 7 : With the word ‘such’ the connective ‘that’ may be used.
- There was such a noise what we could not hear ourselves. ☓
- There was such a noise that we could not hear ourselves.✔
Shortcut Rule 8 :
Until जब तक – Denotes Time
(समय को दर्शाता है)
Unlessजब तक– Denotes Condition
(स्थिति को दर्शाता है)
- You will not succeed until you work hard. ☓
- You will not succeed unless you work hard.✔ (स्थिति)
- I want to stay here unless she speaks the truth. ☓
- I want to stay here until she speaks the truth.✔(समय)
- You cannot do well until you prepare yourself. ☓
- You cannot do well unless you prepare yourself.✔(स्थिति)
Shortcut Rule 9 : After the connective ‘because’ the words ‘ so / therefore / as’ are not used.
- Because he came late so he failed to see her. ☓
- Because he came late, he fail to see her.✔ (because के साथ so/therefore/as का प्रयोग नही होता हैं)
Shortcut Rule 10 : The adverb ‘Not’ should not be used with the connective ‘Till/unless/lest/until’ in that clause.
(Not का प्रयोग नही होता हैं Till/unless/lest/until के साथ)
- Until he does not solve this problem, I will stay with him. ☓
- Until he solves this problem, I will stay with him.✔
- Unless they do not work sincere, they will not succeed. ☓
- Unless they work sincerely, they will not succeed.✔
Shortcut Rule 11 : When ‘since’ is used as a conjunction should be preceded by present perfect tense and followed by a verb in the past tense to denote point of time. (Since का प्रयोग करते समय अगर conjunction की तरह कर रहे हैं तो present perfect tense पहले उपयोग होगा फिर
Since और फिर past tense का प्रयोग करते हैं)
Present perfect+since+ past tense (denote time)
- Many things have happened since I have left the school. ☓
- Many things have happened since I left the school.✔
Shortcut Rule 12 : With the conjunction ‘if’ ‘then’ should not be used.
(If के साथ then का प्रयोग नही होता)
- If you work for 8 hours a day, then you will get through the examination. ☓
- If you work for 8 hours a day, you will get through the examination.✔
Shortcut Rule 13 : When two objects are joined by ‘as well/besides/along with /together with / in addition to / except / including with, the verb
agrees with the first subject in number.
अगर दो ऑब्जेक्ट एक दूसरे को join करते हैं as well/besides/along with /together with / in addition to / except / including with से तो फिर verb क्रिया संख्या में पहले विषय से सहमत हैं।
- He as well as his students have gone there. ☓
- He as well as his students has gone there.✔